All customers using the Skinny Huawei B315 modems will need to update their modem firmware in order to remain connected to the internet from December 2018. This includes all Spark Jump families. Unfortunately this is not something that can be managed remotely and it will involve every user following instructions being sent by email over the next week (starting on 19 September). We realise this could present a challenge for some families who have relied on support from their library or community centre to get connected in the first place.
Skinny plans to deal with this as follows:
- An email will be sent this week to all families needing the upgrade with instructions;
- Families who haven’t responded by 27 September will receive a text reminder;
- From 8 October, families who still don’t respond will receive a reminder email, explaining they will lose service if they do not update;
- From 15 October the Skinny Call Centre staff will start calling families who have not responded and explain how to update;
- From 19 October, internet access will be suspended and families will be redirected to a page encouraging them to update their modem.
More details about the upgrade are contained in the Skinny CATM1 Q&A here.
We are hoping that the planned Skinny processes will reach all Spark Jump families, but some families may need assistance from local delivery partners. We are also checking with Skinny to find out the best process for doing this upgrade during the initial modem set up with families. While new modems will be supplied with the upgrade, modems currently being held will need updating.